The City of Hermitage is seeking qualified candidates for the position of Bookkeeper-Clerk. This is a full-time position with a starting wage of $18.33 per hour with annual step increases over three years to $22.14 per hour. The position has an excellent benefit program including health care and prescription, dental, vision, short term disability, paid vacation, holiday and sick leave and a pension plan. Information related to the position, including the job description, and applicable residency requirements, can be found on the city website at www.hermitage.net. Interested applicants should apply through Pennsylvania CareerLink Mercer County online at https://www.pacareerlink.pa.gov/jponline/, reference job order # 18655261 and complete a pre-application in person at CareerLink, 217 West State Street, Sharon, PA, 724-347-9257. Application deadline is April 28, 2023. Hermitage is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Position Number: 005.01 Reports To: Finance Director
Revision Number: 000 Department: Finance
Most Recent Revision Date: October 1, 2013 FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
The Bookkeeper-Clerk keeps records of financial transactions and performs a variety of tasks to relieve department officials of clerical work and administrative and business details.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The duties listed below are intended as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed pursuant to the City Charter. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment pursuant to the requirements of the City Charter or other applicable laws or regulations.
- RECEIVES AND PROCESSES PAYMENTS: Receives and reviews payments for accuracy, posts information to computerized accounting system, balances cash drawer
- SERVES GENERAL PUBLIC: Answers telephone, receives and provides information to the general public, routes inquiries to appropriate individual or department
- PREPARES INVOICES AND STATEMENTS FOR BILLING: Enters data to maintain updated records for various accounts, billings to customers and payments to vendors, reconciles statements, resolves discrepancies, issues checks
- MAINTAIN FILES AND RECORDS: Maintains files and accounts, prepares financial reports, provides files and records for auditors
- PERFORMS OTHER ADMINISTRATIVE TASKS: Completes forms as required, orders items, opens and distributes mail, and other related duties as directed
- Accurate, complete and retrievable records, files and reports of financial transactions are maintained in accordance with accepted governmental accounting standards
- Billings are accurate and issued in a timely manner
- Public is provided excellent service
This position has no supervisory responsibilities
DESIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Principles and practices of bookkeeping and accounting systems
- Principles and practices of computers in financial applications
- General office practices and office/business equipment
- Organize and maintain files
- Maintain confidentiality with financial records
- Balance cash drawers, reconcile statements, prepare accurate reports
- Effectively deal with general public, vendors and other employees
- Follow detailed instructions
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Qualifications include an Associate’s Degree or equivalent or an equivalent combination of experience and education.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
Ability to read and comprehend detailed instructions, correspondence, billings and invoices, business correspondence and memos. Ability to write basic correspondence. Ability to present information clearly and concisely to the general public, vendors and other City employees.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form; Ability to deal with problems with several concrete variables in standardized situations.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of computerized information management tools including internet web browsing, e-mail, spreadsheet, word processing, special financial and accounting software and related office functions.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate as found in a common office environment.
This description is written to generally define the role of each person’s job to help the employee understand the expectations of the City of Hermitage. The essential functions expected results, personal expectations; qualifications, training, physical requirements and work environment may not be all inclusive and were current as of the date of the most recent revision. The City of Hermitage may add or delete items as the need arises, pursuant to the requirements of the City Charter, the Collective Bargaining Agreement if applicable or other pertinent laws or regulations.
Employee Signature Date